So, I really enjoyed this workshop - I learned a lot about a world I know nothing about. I also got the chance to chat to Lee about my Evolution Series at the end. He gave me some great advice and I decided my series was going to become a Trilogy... it took a lot of pressure off! Thank you Lee for taking the time to give me advice and for being so nice...
So first, let me introduce Lee Harris
- Space Opera/ Western (Firefly)
- Cyber Punk - HiTec Machinery (biological)
- Post Apocalyptic
- Steam Punk (Victorian)/ Diesel (WW1/ WW2)/ Cyber
- Contemporary/ Modern - Urban Fantasy (Paranormal Romance)
- Alternative History
- Dystopian/ Utopian
- Soft SF (Economics)
- Hard SF (Physics)
- Urban Fantasy - Paranormal Romance
- Zombie Fiction
- High Fantasy
If you write to market you might miss the boat... not if SF
2) BOOK SALES
Everyone else will have the same idea and try to come up with similar books...look at Twilight, Fifty shades - the market was flooded.
3) BOOK COVERS
This is less emotional/ more about trying to connect with the reader (for example - and this made me laugh - how many of you have seen the picture of the girl in a long dress looking over her shoulder, sometimes holding a sword?)
Personally, I stopped looking at books because the covers were the same when I was in my Twilight obsession...lol
4) WHAT'S HAPPENING TO THE MARKET
- Steam Punk
- Retro Geek punk - Player One
- Geeks rule the world
- Elitist HiTec
- Robot book
- Dystopian - Hunger Games
- Comic SciFi
- Time Travel
- Fiction from other cultures - Gods/ Godesses
- Fantasy set in another country
- Compare to recent success
- Influenced by...
- Reminiscent of...
- Include "reviews"
- Should appeal to...
- Write well
- Research the Market
- Think of a fresh concept within a Genre
- Make it a good read...