Monday 17 September 2012

Journey and arrival...

Well, it is over a week since I returned from the Festival of Writing (I can't believe it) and my aim to write about my experience was obviously optimistic.  When will I get the time?  So, I will post gradually... please bear with me.

I arrived at Manchester Airport on the Thursday night.  I managed to get confused on arrival so walked outside the arrivals terminal until I figured out what I had to do to get to the Travelodge.  Eventually, I managed to get the transfer coach with a lovely couple on their way to Tenerif.  Festival or Tenerif ?  Tough call...

Anyway, I got chatting (as you do) and told them I was a writer.  I figured I might as well put myself out there.  As expected the Fifty Shades question came up - are you that kind of writer?  When I said no they both pursed their lips as the husband vowed they would never read that rubbish.  I'm not sure his wife was that sure...lol

At my room, alone, it was so strange.  An empty room with no kids stuff or memorabilia.  so, I got my P.J.'s on and flicked channels... I ended up watching the documentary by "the businesswoman from up North" - can't remember her name, the one from Dragon's Den.  It was excellent.  But, I was one of the women she was talking about.  A woman with a degree who choose not to go back to "work" when I had kids... a wasted resourse.  I'm not sure all the voluntary organisations I have helped would agree!  Anyway, I was glad I choose to put my skills to writing, I am doing something creative now at least!

I read a book and got ready for the next day.  Could I sleep?  Not really.  Did I wake up early?  YES.  Damn, why is it that when I have no kids waking me up in the morning I always wake up...ugh...

Anyway, I read a book in bed and waited for seven.  After a shower I went down for breakfast (very nice and peaceful...bliss) and then returned to my room to read.  BTW, I was reading a book by PC Cast from the library - nothing to rave about.  Eventually, I set off for the train station and made my way over to York by train...

York is beautiful, it really is.  I wish I'd had time to sightsee.  It was a shame to be indoors for an entire weekend of sun.  Oh well...

Once I had arrived I got chatting to a range of very nice writers... they were ALL really nice!  and got my room key, etc.  I was impressed by the organisation.  Very smooth.  Room was nicely equiped and did the job.  It did make me have a deja vu moment... to be a student again!

Bits and pieces ready, I made my way over to my first workshop... Self Editing your novel by Debi Alper!

I will write about it tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment